Conventional wisdom holds that energy buyers are supposed to know when to lock in a favourable price. JUPITER’s view is that buying strategy that depends on consistently foreseeing the timing and direction of market movements cannot succeed in the long run.
JUPITER starts by helping you understand your organization’s tolerance for risk, and then working with you to develop a gas buying strategy that will control costs within that risk tolerance, at a known confidence level, and at least cost.
JUPITER’s sector-leading best practices for significant gas buyers include:
- Establishing practical energy budgets and implementing a plan to control costs within the budget
- Developing reliable procurement strategies
- Sourcing multiple suppliers to ensure competitive buying processes
- Aligning our processes and deliverables with your existing procurement processes and policies
- Providing timely reports that help you manage a key input cost
JUPITER’s clients gain the economic and quality benefits of outsourcing with the workflow efficiencies of an in-house department with 7 x 24 support.
Gas-fired power generation and district energy
Combined-cycle generators, district energy operators and industrial cogenerators live on the interface between the dynamic natural gas market and the complex electricity regime. They have a specialized need for strategies that will mitigate fuel cost risk and maximize their return on investment in generation.
JUPITER advises a wide variety of parties with an interest in gas-fired generation, helping them to identify the risk and opportunities in their electricity sales agreements, IESO contracts, and thermal sales agreements, and optimize and manage their gas supply arrangements.
- Market analysis, regulatory surveillance
- Energy supplier selection and contracting
- Risk tolerance and risk management strategy
- Budgeting, forecasting and reporting
- Rate class analysis and optimization
- Procurement operations support:
- Monthly cost and usage reporting
- Supplier and utility invoice verification and dispute resolution
- Generation project risk and economic assessment
- Gas supply planning for generators
- Support for thermal and electricity sales agreements
- Dispatch modeling
- Operational support for gas supply and load balancing